Michael E. Quiat
- ERISA, LTD and Private Disability Income Claims
- Long Term Care Insurance Claims
- Other Complex Life and Health Insurance Litigation
- Complex Insurance Litigation
- Disability Income Insurance Claims
- New York, 1982
- New Jersey, 1985
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Teague v. Bakker
Michael Quiat, a practicing attorney for more than 30 years, is a senior partner with Uscher, Quiat, Uscher & Russo, P.C. He began his career in New York City, where he had a diverse and active career involving Federal and State court litigation in a wide variety of fields and specialties.
In 1996, he obtained one of the nation's ten biggest defense verdicts in Teague v. Bakker, which involved a securities fraud class action lawsuit against the former television evangelist.
Since then, Michael has turned his major attention to matters of complex insurance litigation, with an emphasis on disability income insurance claims, ERISA claims, Life Insurance claims and related fields. He is now one of the region's foremost legal authorities on such complex insurance issues.
A former Law Review editor in his law school days, Michael is a member of the American College of Legal Medicine, the American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA), the Defense Research Institute and the New York City and Bergen County Bar Associations.
In addition to a strong background in disability insurance litigation matters, Mike has significant experience in other types of health and life insurance coverage disputes with carriers. He has pursued disability income cases, most under ERISA laws and regulations, with UnumProvident and every major life and disability insurer in the U.S. In addition to his busy ongoing practice, Michael finds the time to lecture and write on health and disability insurance, ERISA and related issues.
Having represented many clients in a wide variety of insurance matters, Mike Quiat decided fifteen years ago to maintain a focus on claimant representation for disability and life insurance disputes. "This type of work is so much more rewarding," he says. "It is making an important contribution to the lives of so many people who have lost the ability to work and earn a living for themselves and their families. "These people must be heard."
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York
- Law Review: Hofstra University School of Law, Notes & Comments Editor, 1979 – 1981
- Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
- B.S. – 1978
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Oracle Society
- Major: Politics
Classes & Seminars
- Health and Disability Insurance, ERISA
- Obermaier, Morvillo & Abramolvitz, Associate, 1981 to 1985
- New York City Bar Association, Member, 2000 to 2006
- Bergen County Bar Association, Member, 1995 to 2006
- New Jersey Bar Association
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), Member
- American College of Legal Medicine, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
Current Employment Position
- Senior Partner